Monday, October 1, 2012

How to Build a Farmhouse Table



Dad's notes: Our country farm table and bench is an unkillable sturdy combination you must have for a growing family.  Make it as big as you want so that when all the relatives come over there is still a spot for you to collapse after a long day's work.  Inspired by Restoration Hardware Salvage Wood Farmhouse Collection.  Check it out here.

Material List               

5 – 2” x 12” - 8 feet long
2 – 4” x 6”   - 8 feet long
2 – 4” x 4”   - 8 feet long
6 – 2” x 4”   - 8 feet long
One small box of 3” deck screws (coated i.e. primeguard at Home Depot)
or 3” decorative screw if screwing from the top (will be exposed to your eye)
or 3” screws with a flat head (used when you don’t want any screws showing)
one tube of PL Premium by Loctite
caulk gun

Material Cost $123.00 as of September 2012

1.  First lets build the 2 x 4 frame for the table top.  Note the dimensions in the drawing below and cut your 2 x 4’s accordingly.  Next lay them out and screw them together using the 3” deck screws.  Note the two end boards are longer by 3 inches (they are blue in the picture).  It also is helpful to use a framing square to keep everything square.



2.  It’s time to cut the 2 x 12’s for the table top.  Note the dimensions in the drawing below and cut your 2 x 12’s accordingly.  There are two ways to attach these planks to the frame you just made.  The first method is to make sure the 2 x 4 frame is square and simply put a bead of PL Premium adhesive on the top of the frame and screw the plank to the frame.  You can use some fore planning on where you want the screws to be and create a uniform pattern. 


The other method is to not have any screw heads showing.  This is done by taking a drill bit that is bigger then the head of the 3 inch flat head screws.  Mark with a sharpie marker a line on the drill bit 1 ½ inches from the tip.  Now take that drill bit and drill holes on the bottom side of your 2 x 4 frame where you want to screw down the top planks only to the depth of your sharpie marker line.  Next take a second drill bit that approximates the diameter of the 3 inch flat head screws and drill in the same hole all the way through the 2 x 4 frame.  When you are finished you will have a way to secure the top plank from the undersurface of your tables frame without showing any screws.  By making the second hole all the way through the 2 x 4  the size of the screws diameter, the plank will be pulled tight to the 2 x 4 frame.  Be careful not be over zealous with the tightening of the screws.  I know you’re the man and all that but you don’t want to split the wood or go out through the top of your new table.


3.  The framing for the table is created by cutting the 4 x 6’s to appropriate length.  Note the dimensions in the drawing below  and cut them accordingly.  The 4 x4’s are also cut at this time, note their dimensions.  If you want a little more information on “how to” create the mortise joints refer to the Farmhouse Bench tutorial.  The only difference is the depth of the mortise needs to be 1 ¾ inches for this project.  Make sure you cut the mortise into the 3 ½ inch thickness of the 4 x 6 timber.



21 comments:

  1. Thanks! I like how you include the price for materials. What about extensions? We have four kids, but come from much larger families and it'd be nice to be able to move the couches and pull out a really long table when they visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could build 2 tops mirroring the design here but half the length and attach to the top using hinges so that your table top has double thickness when folded but you can unfold to twice as long. you'd need fairly heavy hinges and/or a swing out leg support however.
      Or if you don't want to double the length you can do the same idea with shorter extensions and have them fold UNDER the table.
      have them swing up and use heavy sliding bolts on either side to secure.

      my parents had a tiny kitchen (house was originally a 2bdrm about 800sqft house) and 8 people on a daily basis. they contacted a local woodworker and had a table very similar to this made, however the benches had backs. We slid the table and benches together and it took up very little room. infact there wasn't enough room to have the 2 chairs we'd use at either end in place and still walk by the table. At dinner time we'd pull everything out and put the chairs at either end. parents had chairs and we had 3 kids per bench.

      Delete
  2. Breck! I love that you are doing this!! Ben still wishes you were doing teeth...but we'll take this as a close second! Can't wait to see all the fun things that you come up with!

    Laura & Ben Barlow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. It's great that you're sharing your mad skills with us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your skills with us! I've been a long time follower of Cheri's and I'm very excited to see you have a blog of your own now! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this table. Would this work as an out door patio table or would the weather be too much for the wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as good outside as long as you put a few extra coats of poly on it. It should last forever!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your time and talents! I absolutely love the farmhouse table and bench. ~ Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! i love that you put the prices, that frustrates me about other sites that offer plans! so excited to see what else you make! My husband made me a coffee table, and I have a HUGE list for him to keep working on... excited to see what else i can add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dad!
    funny...you don't look druish...:D

    I have a problem and I wonder if you might have a crafty solution I haven't thought of yet!

    My house isn't the house I wanted (rather long and boring story) and it has a very odd floorplan. there is a formal dining/odd shaped room that is the kids play area right now. Seriously, who puts white carpet in a dining room?!?
    I have an area in the main living area that a kitchen table *could* go, but thats just odd and plus my sewing station is there now.

    I'd prefer a dine-in, but one must make do with what one has.
    I have a smallish area that is across from my fridge and has a arched window/pass thru type thing going on. Right now I have the smallest 4 person table I could find, a glass top from ikea.
    I think 4'x3' max. my main issue with the current table is my son keeps scootching the table down so i'll look and all the sudden table has migrated several feet. Plus i'm tall (5'9), all leg, and I like to cross my legs which is impossible since the table is kinda short.
    Since there is only 3 of us (me, 8yr old and 5yr old boys) i'd love to do something and possibly even mount it to the wall. Heck, a swing out of the way table would be nifty too....

    I basically need somewhere for the two boys to sit (who are already 55" and 52" tall, and supposed to be around 6'4 and 6'6 at full height) to eat quick breakfasts, and somewhere all 3 of us could eat dinner once in awhile.

    I'd love a better solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://picasaweb.google.com/118177158113954148630/October52012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

      here are two pics I had in my cache showing you what little space i'm working with. I'm planning on purchasing a upright freezer and putting it up against the cabinets you see in the rear of the kitchen (there is a wood trash holder/shelves unit right there now, next to the table)

      Delete
    2. I can't make the picture more than a thumbnail so if you could send another one I would be glad to look at it. I will also have a farmhouse snack bar plan published in a couple of days that is quick simple and very study. Maybe that might be part of your answer. I am looking forward to a better picture so I can help.

      Delete
  9. This table is awesome! If we had not bought one this year I would try to talk my hubby into making it. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just moved into our new house a couple of months ago, and we're slowly making it a home. I've been dreaming of a farmhouse table for so long, and now it seems like we can have it...and we can make it, which will make it that much more special. I'm a follower of your daughters, and I KNOW I'll be coming by here often! Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This table is awesome! I'm going to attempt to build one myself following your instructions.
    What process did you use to finish the table? Did you use a stain or wax. Did you do any distressing? It has a nice color that makes it look old. I'm assuming the wood you used was pine?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Breck,
    when you have a few minutes can you also detail the finishing process. from sanding to stain or polyurethane wax etc??
    Also what wood did you use for this table?
    Thanks in advance for your reply

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this table! Thank you so much for designing this and putting together these instructions. I plan on making it for our covered patio -- 12 ft long with two benches.

    Question: What type of wood did you use? And did you get it from Home Depot (or similar)? Thank you so much in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have purchased the wood to make the table and bench with the exception of the 4"x6"x8'. We are having a hard time locating it at any of the local lumberyards as well as at Lowe's and 84 Lumber. Where would you suggest we find this? It was suggested to my husband that she should glue together 2 - 2"x6"x8' pieces together to make the 4"x6"x8'. I'm not exactly comfortable with that idea. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A furniture makes a house more attractive that a simple house.If you put furniture in your bedroom or drawing or a kitchen you need to maintain space of your house.Our target is to give you the exact size of furniture match of your house space. I am very impress with you post. Keep doing...
    Farmhouse Tables

    ReplyDelete
  16. All Farmhouse Table are looks very good and strong also. Please let me know is it your product or others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    Thank you very much for posting these designs ! I am about to build this farmtable ! I was wondering what software you use to make these blueprints you provide in your postings ? Thanks !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you have a question and your blogger profile is NOT linked to your email address, then I'll answer your question here in the comment section. Thanks!