Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Corbel Entry Table

This Restoration Hardware-inspired entry way table will be the talk of your home for a fraction of the cost.  This table can be finished with either a wooden top or a beveled glass top. We have used a combination of a stained wooden top and a shabby chic finish on the Corbels below.  Use your imagination and have fun making it yours.  We have included a link to a PDF pattern for the Corbels in the instructions below.


Material Needed             Material Cost $85

3 - 2 x 12's 12 feet long
1 small can of stain
1 small can of clear or semi-gloss polyacryllic
1 small tube of PL Premium
caulk gun
wire wheel drill attachment

We had fun making this little table.  We started out by drawing out the design we wanted for our Corbels.  I have linked a pdf of this particular design HERE, but feel free to get creative on your own.  We simply traced the design out on our first 2 x 12 and cut it out using a jig saw.  Note the two center pieces of each Corbel only have the outline cut out.  Only the outside pieces have the decorative holes and designs cut into them.  To cut out the circular holes quickly and precisely we used a hole saw attached to a drill.  This is an easy way to get exactly the size and placement you want.  



The other designs were cut out by first drilling a hole for the jig saw to get started in and then just following the design that was traced on the board.  Repeat the process until you have 4 outside pieces cut and 4 inside pieces cut.


Now you can glue and screw them together.  I applied PL Premium glue to the outside more decorative piece and clamped them together.  Next I drilled holes for my screws.  The first drill goes through both pieces to the depth of the screws length.  Next I redrill the hole in the solid piece with a drill that is approximately the size of the screw.  This allows the screw to cinch the two pieces together when it is put into place.  Also note that I "counter sunk" the inside piece to allow the screw head some room when it is put into place.  Repeat this process so you end up with a decorative and outline piece glued and screwed together and another decorative and outline piece glued and screwed together.  It is time to join the 2 pieces into one large Corbel.  Just apply some PL Premium to them and put them together with a rubbing motion to ensure good glue distribution and clamp them together.



After we let them dry overnight we sanded any variations between the now glued together pieces. 


                                The final step was to rough up the surface with a wire wheel.



                                                     Here is your diamond in the rough.



 It's up to you to decide what kind of finish you want.  We chose shabby chic.  This was accomplished by painting the Corbel, letting it dry, and then applying a coat of stain that we wiped off after we applied it to the painted Corbel.

I made the top out some of the leftover 2 x 12's by cutting the larger piece to the desired length of the shelf minus the 2 x 4 material rim.  I created the 2 x 4 material out of the leftover 2 x 12 material too.  I just cut it to 3 1/2 inches wide (just like a 2 x 4), cut the corners on a 45 degree angle and glued them together with PL Premium (you can biscuit or dowel join them if you prefer).  I spent a little time sanding the top so it would be nice and smooth.  It too was stained with American Heritage stain by MinWax.  After the stain dried we applied 4 coats of MinWax polyacryllic clear satin.


To attach it to the wall I used some more of the left over material and made a 2 x 2 that I cut to length.  The length I cut it to was equal to the distance between the 2 Corbels.  I first screwed the 2 x 2 to the back of the undersurface of the top.  Then I screwed the 2 x 2 to the wall, after locating the studs in the wall for a really secure installation.  The Corbels are screwed up into the shelf to make the whole unit very sturdy.

Linking Tatertots and Jello

12 comments:

  1. This is amazing I so want one! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece, that Cherri apple didn't fall far from the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I'm such a fan of all of your projects that I have seen on Cheri's blog, and now I'm thrilled that you have started your own blog! Congratulations, you create wonderful things - Cheri being my favorite:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so amazed/impressed by this project! WOW! I am imagining myself attempting all this jigsawing-- if I could do it. I'm not sure I can! AMAZING! I'm so glad you started a blog. All your projects have been awesome. If you were my dad's neighbor, you guys would be besties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're blogging. Thanks for sharing your talent for designing, and building. Will definitely be using your plans in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. See also more and compare for best prices deals for Entry Tables Sale here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you have a question and your blogger profile is NOT linked to your email address, then I'll answer your question here in the comment section. Thanks!